The Globetrotting Meghan

The Globetrotting Meghan

Monday, December 3, 2007

My Weekend

So let me tell you about my weekend. As if the food poisoning on Friday wasn't enough (it kept me up well past 3 am), I woke up Saturday morning to a glorious snow storm. Now, I was supposed to go get a piano on Saturday with my friend Lisa. I had previously discussed how this might not be the best idea when all of the Midwest was in the middle of a winter storm. But her enthusiasm could not be held back. So I put on all my snow gear and went to go rent the U-Haul. After putting $40 worth of gas in her so that she would make it to and from our destination I proceeded to drive to our meeting point. Normally, I would have made someone else drive, but they were picking out a Christmas tree and so I was meeting them. I planned on making them drive after that, however. Of course, I only made it three blocks before the truck got caught in the snow. Turns out rear-wheel drive and snow don't mix well. I managed to get it to the side of the road (a one-way that is quite busy at all times) and called for help. By the time the two boys got there, I was freezing. After over an hour we finally managed to get it out. This involved backing the truck down the street (of course moving in the wrong direction) through one of the worst intersections in downtown, and turning around in the middle of the intersection. We then drove it back to U-Haul and left it for them (halfway in the parking lot as it got stuck again-but that is their problem.) Of course, Lisa is still devastated. Apparently a snow and ice storm wouldn't have stopped her. I told her next time she can drive the truck. So I spent the next 36 hours determinedly camped out in my apartment. Luckily Church had already been cancelled. I didn't even go down to campus to pick up the rest of my exams so I could finish grading them. This morning I was coming down early to finish my exams, and in the process of trying to catch the bus fell on the ice. It took me an hour to convince myself I hadn't actually broke my finger. It still hurts. A lot. Anyways, my weekend, thankfully, is now over. Hopefully life will get better soon...

No comments: